1818, Dr. James Blundell, a British obstetrician, performed the first
successful transfusion of human blood to a patient for the treatment of post
parturm hemorrhage using the patient's husband as a donor.
When the Second World War broke out in 1939, the British Govt's medical
advisers realized that large a number of blood transfusions were likely to
be needed for military and civilian casualities and that for this purpose,
great quantities of blood group tested serum would be necessary. The only
blood group system of clinical importance then known was, the ABO system.
The present District Head Quarters Hospital, Pudukkottai has been
functioning since 14th October, 1851, as His Highness The
Rajah's Free Hospital. This Hospital was established in the name of JOHN
BLACKBURNE ESQUIRE, an inscription in this regard found in the Head
In 1930 a blood investigation lab
was established in the Head Quarters Hospital. In 1974, the Hospital was
declared as District Head Quarters Hospital. As per the records the Blood
Transfusion service started with the first voluntary blood donor, a
student of H.H. The Rajah's College named Mr. Thirugnanasambandam who is
at present a senior advocate in Pudukkottai donated blood on 22.11.1974
concept of Voluntary blood donation was introduced in India in the year
1991. But even before that year, H.H. The Rajah's College had taken a lead
in the voluntary Blood Donation Movement.
In earlier days, the main blood donors were the patient's relatives and
professional donors. After the Supreme Court judgement in 1996, the
professional blood donors were banned. During early days, the blood
collection could amount to only 200 units per year which includes the
contribution of 20% voluntary blood donors.
With the effective motivation and proper planning of blood donation
programmes by the collective efforts of District Collector, Joint
Director of Health Services, blood bank Medical Officers and
their staff and voluntary organizations we have reached the target of
100% voluntary blood donation.
It is a matter of
great joy and pride that during the years 2002 and 2003 TANSACS awarded a
Rolling Cup and Merit Certificate to our Blood Bank as best blood bank in
Tamil Nadu among the non-teaching Hospitals.
Now our Blood Bank has formed more than 90
blood donor clubs among the public in Pudukkottai. The Pudukkottai District
has a Federation of Voluntary Blood Donors Club with more than 2000 donors.
And the blood bank of pudukkottai has the enrolment of more than 5000 donors
at present. This federation was registered under Societies Act. The Pudukkottai District has a number of Arts & Science
Colleges, Engineering Colleges, Polytechnic Colleges, ITI Institutions,
Teacher Training Institutions Catering Colleges and B.Ed., Colleges. All
the faculty and students of the above mentioned institutions are donating
blood to the Blood Bank.